About CaltonCarlton Just North of McMinnville in the middle of beautiful farm land is the city of Calton. In 1872 a railroad was built from Portland to St Joe, but the train did not stop between the two stations. There was nothing but farm land where Carlton is now. Some of the farmers talked it over and as a result Mr. Wilson Carl went to Portland and talked to the Railroad Company officials to see if they would make a stop closer to them so they would not have to take their produce so far to the railroad. As a result first a flag stop was tried then a regular stop was made at what is now Carlton. The story is that the railroad employees when they talked of this unnamed stop started calling it Carl's town, which was soon shortened to Carlton. The City was incorporated in 1899.
Upper City Park
Small Town Festivals: shows all the different festivals and fairs that are around Amity