Hayhurst is bordered by the Maplewood, Bridlemile, and Multnomah Neighborhoods and its street boundaries are Beaverton Hillsdale Highway to the north, South: Vermont Street, East: S.W. 30th Avenue, and West: Oleson Road. It is also sometimes known as Vermont Hills. It is a good close-in south west Portland neighborhood that originally was part of Hillsdale. There are a lot of older homes here- some from the early 1900's, but most from the 1950's and 1960's, and they have lot of charm and characte....like hardwood floors, coved ceilings, open fireplaces, big yards, winding streets and lots of big old trees! It's a great place to raise a family- and close to Multnomah Village and Gabriel Park.
The history of the area is really interesting. The first settlers were pioneers from the mid-west- who settled here in the mid-1800's when the area was heavily forested and wild. There were no roads and no way to get to Portland- just trails and wagon roads. There were lots of deer and even bear and the settlers had close contact with the Native Americans that lived in the area. In the early 1880's, the Southern Pacific Railroad came into Hillsboro going right through Hayhurst- which brought European immigrants from Germany and Switzerland. These people were woodsmen, farmers and dairymen. They cut down most of the trees so they could farm- and also use the wood. In order to get their produce and mild to town, they built the first road- which was made from wood planks. It is still here- although not made of planks- and it is called Vermont Street . Alpenrose was one of the original Dairies- and it is still here today!
In 1907, the Oregon Electric Railway came into this area- which meant people could now commute into Portland . Farmers sold off some of their land, and plots were sold off for homes- called Garden-Home plots- a little place for a garden and a home...thus the name of the street Garden Home. The Oregon Electric Railway stopped passenger service in 1932. PGE came in with electricity in 1915., and in 1920, a road was built into Washington County- it is now called Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway .
Gabriel Park is a huge beautiful park of 90 acres. There are fields and woods, a baseball field, basketball court - outdoor, disabled access picnic area, disabled access play area, disabled access restroom, dog off-leash area, fountain, paths - paved, paths - unpaved, picnic site - reservable, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, softball field, statue or public art, tennis court - outdoor, and volleyball court
Albert Kelly Park is 12 acres and Includes paths - unpaved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and volleyball court.
Pendleton Park is 5 acres and has baseball field, basketball court - outdoor, disabled access play area, disabled access restroom, paths - paved, paths - unpaved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and statue or public art.